The Central Highlands Accelerate Agribusiness (CHAA) initiative aims to grow, promote and realize value and opportunity for all businesses producing agricultural and food products, processing and other value-adding services in the Central Highlands region of Queensland, Australia.
In the heart of Queensland, the Central Highlands is an important centre for a diverse range of crops and animal production, underpinned by best practice quality and environmental programs and supported by a strong regional workforce.
The Nogoa and Comet rivers run through the region. Secure irrigation is available from Queensland’s second largest water storage the Fairbairn Dam for high value horticultural and broad-acre crops. Beef producers are serviced by the contemporary Emerald Saleyards complex handling up to 100,000 head per annum. Major freight routes include the north-south link between Charters Towers and northern New South Wales.
A gateway for access to Asia through the Gladstone and Brisbane port facilities for central and western Queensland, the Central Highlands also provides a strategic link to established service industry, research and manufacturing capabilities for northern Australia.
To ensure that the Central Highlands region is positioned to exploit its long-term potential as well as grow its comparative advantage, the Central Highlands Accelerate Agribusiness initiative is pursuing five strategic areas:
- Strengthen and shorten supply chains to reduce supply chain leakage, risk and support the local consumption of Central Highlands produce
- Cultivate agricultural and service industry capability to grow production, advance the region’s economy and create connectivity through trade partnerships
- Grow investment-ready, supply-chain ready Central Highlands businesses; harness local, national and global investment opportunities
- Build on Central Highlands comparative advantages with premium products and services through smart market specialisation strategies
- Power future jobs and desirable liveability by skilling Central Highlands for the knowledge intensive and high tech communities
The CHAA Strategic Advisory Group provides best practice commercial and technical advice and information to the initiative. Further information on current agribusiness opportunities in our region can be found here.
CHDC is working with many businesses, industry organisations and Government to realise our vision for agribusiness in the region. If you’d like to know more about the Central Highlands Accelerate Agribusiness initiative, email the Agribusiness Development Coordinator or telephone (07) 4982 4386. Please as well as accessing CHDC’s business services, more information is available in our fact sheet or you can register here.
Central Highlands Accelerate Agribusiness is an initiative of the Central Highlands Development Corporation in partnership with the Central Highlands Regional Council.