eNews 28 May 2019 - CHDC's new Business Facilitator
FROM THE DESK OF CHDC'S BUSINESS FACILITATOR
Hi, I'm Mary Ryan and I've recently accepted a position with CHDC as its Business Facilitator.
About the role
Central to CHDC's mission is ensuring the ongoing sustainability of the region's economy, and, naturally, ensuring the sustainability of its businesses. With this in mind, the Business Facilitator program, which is funded by the Local Buying Foundation, has been designed to deliver targeted, one-on-one support to local businesses. The model focuses on addressing fundamentals and facilitating connections through, for example:
• Referrals to relevant business advisors;
• Guidance and resources to develop capability statements; and
This program aligns with the Central Highlands Economic Master Plan (CHEMP). Read more about the CHEMP here.
The Business Facilitator program has five key aims:
1. Monitor and identify business capability needs
2. Investigate local procurement and supply chain opportunities
3. Develop strategies that guide, mentor and support Small and Medium Enterprises
4. Promoting awareness of the need to maintain and advance business management skills
5. Promoting best practice in all business operations, through resourcing, facilitation and delivery of workshops/events/forums
My focus within the role will be:
• Engaging the local business community in an authentic way that encourages feedback, listening and mutually beneficial information sharing
• Delivering visits to communities and businesses across the entire region
• Delivering events, workshops and training seminars that are focused on upskilling SMEs across a broad range of business fundamentals
• Attending and advocating on behalf of the region at business events
• Identifying and promoting support structures appropriate for the business community
My current priority is facilitating the 2019 Central Highlands Business Excellence Awards (CHBEA), which has attracted over 100 nominations across 11 award categories. I have had the pleasure of visiting most of the nominated business throughout our region this month.
Nominations are now open for the Awards' People's Choice category, which recognises and celebrates businesses whose outstanding service capabilities have contributed significantly to business excellence. This is a public nomination process, rather than businesses self-nominating, and once finalists are chosen, the winner will be decided by a public vote.
The CHBEA culminates with a Gala Dinner on 14 September at Emerald Town Hall. Tickets go on sale via the CHDC website from 12 August.
Originally hailing from the green fields of Ireland, I'm now a fully-fledged Australian, having become a citizen in 2013.
I hold a range of qualifications including tertiary awards in business, public relations and strategic management and planning. My experience has been across various industries, both locally and internationally, in state and local government. My career has always found me attracted to organisations that are community focussed. I have specialised in roles delivering business efficiency and effectiveness balanced with community services and have an extensive professional network.
Having worked in a range of organisations in varying capacities and often in strategic level positions, I have a very firm grasp on business operations and how I can assist in business develop through connections and funding programs.
In my role as Business Facilitator I am happy to support SMEs across the entire Central Highlands region, at any stage of development. From start-ups to succession planning, I can provide you with the right tools and connections to ensure business success.
I found myself in Australia under what I suppose would be considered "the traditional way" these days. I arrived here on a working holiday, engaged in a farmhand capacity on rural properties. I found myself in the Central Highlands and fell in love - both with the region, the people and eventually my husband, Cameron. I am a passionate advocate for the many wonderful qualities of the Central Highlands.
I'm very pleased to take on the Business Facilitator role with CHDC so that I can assist our local businesses to thrive and achieve their own goals. Outside of the office, you will find me enjoying our local horse-racing scene and hitting the Park Run trail at the Botanic Gardens.
Contact CHDC Business Facilitator Mary Ryan on email@example.com or (07) 4982 4386 or 0447 985 241.
This program is supported by the Local Buying Foundation